We feature guest Joel Leon to talk about bringing art and spirituality to our grind. Joel is a poet, entrepreneur, rapper, singer, and intellectual. So we wanted to get his take on how we combine all of those artistic elements to help take ourselves to the next level.The song in the introduction is also a song written and performed by Joel that you can download for free here.
Here is what I learned:
- Rawness and authenticity are key. Hip Hop made an impact because it revealed some of the harsh realities of urban life. People will feel a deeper trust with you if you embody that same Hip Hop level of rawness in everything you work on. That ultimately means just being yourself.
- Feed your spirit, not just your pockets. Don’t be concerned with making money 100% of the time. You should be doing things that make you happy. Some things you’ll have to do for free just because you enjoy them. Some partnerships you have to take, because it just feels good. Only doing things you get paid for will cause you to miss out on the real joy of life. Giving value.
- Create a core value system. Make a list of the tings that mean the most to you. Weave that into the DNA of your company or project. You’ll know what to say yes to, and what to say no to.
- You may lose customers. When you have a value system, there will be some customers who don’t fit in that system. You have to be OK with that.
- Don’t force creativity. if you find yourself in a writers block or uninspired let it flow. Go to the park, take a walk, go to the gym, watch a movie. The key is to not fight it, and let it come back to you. Fighting it will only delay the process.
Joel’s Twitter (Tell him Anthony sent you!)