This week we speak with tech entrepreneur Sheena Allen. Sheena discusses some of the challenges she faces as a black woman in the tech industry. We also cover the sacrifices you have to make regarding relationships and family. Sheena gives tips on everything from dressing for the part to remaining humble. Enjoy.
Here is what I learned:
- Nothing is worth losing your values over – Sheena stood her ground in what she believed in. She would not compromise who she was to get money or funding for her startup. She wanted success her way.
- Entrepreneurs have to sacrifice – Sheena talked about how she had to sacrifice dating, friends, and even family. Your business will take up a huge chunk of your schedule, so you have to improve your time management skills.
- How you dress matters – Know your audience. If you are in Silicon Valley where the culture is mostly hoodies and jeans, then your fine. But, Sheena doing business in her hometown in Mississippi that won’t fly. So know how to dress the part without sacrificing who you are.
- Ignore the fear of failure – Sheena wasn’t trying to be perfect with her first app. She took a leap of faith, that turned into millions of downloads years later. What’s holding you back from taking the first step? It may be all mental.
- Remain humble – No matter where you are in your journey, the key is to stay humble.
Music by Louie & Friends