Rakia Reynolds is founder and CEO of Skai Blue Media a full service communications agency based in Philadelphia. She works with notable brands and stars like Serena Williams, Ashley Graham, and many more. I met Rakia when she gave a talk at my Tech808 conference, and ever since she has been an inspiration to me. I interviewed Rakia on a number of topics that include PR, branding, and personal value creation. I needed help, but I wanted to share the wealth with you guys.
What we learned:
- Know who you are selling to. Too many people create brands that stretch too thin. You can’t be everything to everyone. Do some market research. Find your audience and a specific key message that will resonate with them.
- Pay attention to the trends. Find out what people are using, watching, reading, and interacting with. Consume as much content as possible to learn these trends. But, be careful. Consume intelligently.
- Learn how to delegate. You can’t do everything yourself. Learn how to hire freelancers, temps, interns, assistants, employees, partners, etc. Your team will be one of the most impactful parts of your success. A millionaire once told me: “If you want to make a million dollars, learn how to multiply yourself.”
- Own up to your mistakes in public. When something goes wrong with your business or brand do not let it linger for more than 24 hours. When you own up to your mistakes you immediately take control of the situation and most importantly the story. If you don’t control the story it allows others who don’t have your best interest to make up their own.
- Life sharing has to be done with caution. Being open and honest is key to building a brand, especially a personal one. But you have to be selective and intelligent about it.